Spring is often thought of as the best time to sell your home. If you are currently looking to sell, have just put your home on the market or struggling to get viewings, we’ve put together some tips to help you make your home look its best.
You may have heard of the term “home staging”. Simply put, this means preparing your home for sale by increasing its appeal to the greatest number of prospective buyers. It doesn’t necessarily mean refurbishing (although you may also consider this), but making the most of what you already have.
The best thing you can do to increase your chance of a sale is de-clutter. Have a long, hard look at each room in your home and clear away anything that is taking up space. Ask a trusted friend to help by casting a critical eye over your home and pack away any unnecessary items in storage while house viewings are taking place. Ahead of a viewing, move coats and shoes from the hallway, pack away bathroom products and cosmetics and clear the work surfaces in the kitchen.
Think about how clean your home is – the top thing that puts off potential buyers is a lack of cleanliness. Make sure that your house is spotless when the estate agent takes photographs. Light and reflected shine are the best ways to show off the size of your rooms. It may not be possible to keep up this level of “clean” but you can go a long way to achieve the “feeling of clean” by considering how your home smells. Avoid strong cooking smells, cigarette smoke and the whiff of any pets. Hide the kitty litter and use scented candles. Another good tip is to put a tumble dryer sheet in each of the litter bins around the house or even inside radiators. The smell of baking is often thought to be the most appealing scent (which is why supermarkets pump out the smell by entrances). You can fake this by putting a vanilla pod in the oven on a low heat just before a viewing.
What if you get an unexpected call from your estate agent that you have an interested party coming to view within the hour? Here are 10 quick tips from experts on selling your home – Home-Truths:
- Grab a washing basket and go through each room removing paperwork, laundry, dirty dishes and shoes.
- Swap towels in the bathroom for clean ones
- Change the bed in the master bedroom. One tip is to put your usual duvet cover and pillow cases over the top of your “special ones” and whip them off for unexpected viewings!
- Open a window in each room (only a fraction if it’s cold)
- Put the heating on. Light a fire if you have one. If it’s too warm for a fire, or you don’t have time, put some lit church candles in the grate for a cosy glow.
- Put your lamps on upstairs and a mixture of overhead and low level lighting downstairs
- Spray beds with perfume, put a tumble drier sheet in your bins and mask any strong scents with scented candles or a drop of vanilla or lemon juice in a bowl of water in the oven
- Raid your garden for some greenery and colour and arrange in vases
- Create a pleasant atmosphere with some low level relaxing background music
- Make sure you also look smart and tidy!
Buying and selling a home is one of the most stressful times for anyone and things can often get overlooked in the mayhem. Let us help by looking after your home and contents insurance for you.
[maxbutton id=”151″ url=”https://www.aplan.co.uk/home-insurance” text=”Speak to you local branch about home and contents insurance” ]