Green Card

Green Card Guidance for UK Drivers

As there is some uncertainty surrounding the terms of the Brexit deal following the UK’s withdrawal from the European Union (EU), we wanted to share our thoughts on some potential implications for motor insurance when driving abroad.

Guidance from the Association of British Insurers and the Motor Insurance Bureau is that drivers should be in possession of a physical Green Card when driving in the EU after midnight on the 29th March 2019.

What is a Green Card?

A Green Card is a document which temporarily extends the geographical limits of a UK insurance policy to additional countries selected by the policyholder for the duration of their trip. If you’ve driven to places like Switzerland or Russia in the past, you will have received one of these. A Green Card guarantees that the motorist has the minimum insurance cover necessary to drive fully insured in the specific country or countries they have selected. A physical copy of a Green Card (printed on plain, matte, green paper) must be taken when travelling in the EU and as things currently stand, digital copies such as the PDF format will not be accepted. If you do not have a Green Card with you when you arrive at the border, you will most likely not be able to drive in that country.

How can I get a Green Card?

The process of issuing Green Cards is currently being implemented by insurers. However, until there is more certainty around the formal Brexit agreement, the guidance in the interim is that you should contact your insurance company or broker if you intend to drive in the EU, and at least a month before travelling.

Frequently Asked Questions:

Will there be a charge for Green Cards?

Although there’s a possibility this may be the case we don’t expect there to be an additional cost.

Will Green Cards now become a separate document?

The Green Card will be a separate document that must be printed on green paper.

Will the type of driving licence you hold affect your rights to drive in Europe/UK?

It is hoped that the same rights will apply. If however the UK exit is ‘hard’ or ‘no deal’ a requirement for an EU driving permit may be introduced.

In the event of a “no deal” what will the situation be for those requiring a Green Card at short notice?

Our advice is to plan at least a month ahead but there will also be a transitional period.

What would the situation be if you have travelled to the EU prior to 29th March, returning afterwards, and we end up with a no deal situation?

There will be a transitional period.